The Music Market in Japan
- Japan is the largest music market in the world with over 25% of world sales. (See chart below)
- The population of just the Tokyo Area is 35 million. (Japan Total Population: 127 million)
- Japanese spend more money on music per person than anyone else in the world almost 3 times more than Americans.
- About 82% of all digital music sales in Japan are online (smartphones, tablets and computers) while 18% are via mobile carriers.
- About 1 in every 4 CD albums sold in Japan is international.
- There are fans in Japan for all genres of musicfrom Hawaiian, Bossa Nova, Folk, New Age, and Bluegrass to Metal, Punk, Alt Rock, HipHop, Dance, Reggae, and everything in between. Since the population of Japan is huge compared to most countries, even a small percentage of the population is a lot of people.
See more music industry statistics at the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ) website and International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) website
Every year, Japanese spend over a billion dollars on music from foreign countries. If you are in the business of making and selling music, then Japan is your main market and should not be ignored.
The goal of this website is to provide resources to help indie bands/artists, managers and record labels sell and promote music in Japan. Please read the various sections and articles in this website to gain insight into doing business effectively in the Japanese music market.
Many indie bands and labels that understand the global music business rely on Japan as a source of fans and revenue. When you're making more fans and selling more music, being "Big in Japan" is a good thing!
Click here to create a Japanese web/mobile site (EPK) and start promoting your music in Japan.
See the artists/bands from your country that are currently trying to make it "Big in Japan".